Lingual braces are the least visible of any form of orthodontic treatment. The braces are placed on the back of the teeth on the tongue side, or the lingual side in doctor-speak, so when you smile, they’re completely hidden from view. In spite of the fact they’re extremely effective and more under-the-radar than other treatment options, they aren’t as widely known. One of the reasons is because not all orthodontists offer lingual braces since the treatment requires specialized training. Well, you’re in luck! At Davis Orthodontics, Dr. Buddy offers lingual braces in Greer and Simpsonville and he has extensive experience in the treatment. In fact, he happens to be the only Premier Provider of Incognito™ lingual braces in the Upstate of South Carolina! To help you get a better understanding of these hidden braces, we’re covering everything you need to know about lingual braces.
What are Lingual Braces and How do They work?
Lingual braces, or Incognito braces, which are the type Dr. buddy uses, are fixed orthodontic appliances that consist of brackets and wires just like traditional braces. However, they’re small and completely customized to you. We bond them behind the teeth on the tongue side. The hidden braces work in the same way as other types of braces and rely on the interaction between the brackets and wires to apply gentle, continuous pressure to shift the teeth into their ideal positions. Now, how long do lingual braces take to work? Treatment time with lingual braces is comparable to treatment time with traditional braces.
What is the Lingual Braces Procedure Like?
The process of getting these custom, hidden braces is as high-tech as the treatment itself! Here’s what you can expect:
- You’ll swing by Davis Orthodontics for a free consultation. We’ll take digital x-rays and Dr. Buddy will perform a thorough exam. Once he has an accurate diagnosis and you’ve decided lingual braces are the best choice for you, we’ll use our digital, intra-oral scanner to take comfortable, quick, precise digital scans of your teeth.
- Buddy will use the digital scans and plan out your tooth movements using specialized software. A 3D model of your mouth will be created to represent the desired result.
- When the ideal simulation is achieved, Dr. Buddy sends off his prescription and your brackets are designed in a lab to specifically fit each one of your teeth. Based on Dr. Buddy’s specifications and the bracket placement, your braces wires will be robotically bent for maximum accuracy. The process of creating your Incognito braces will take a few weeks.
- As soon as your brackets and wires are complete, they’ll be sent back to our office. You’ll come back in and Dr. Buddy will bond the braces to the back of your teeth. Don’t worry! The process is painless. He uses special glue to adhere the brackets in their correct places and then threads your arch wires through them before sending you on your way.
- You’ll come in for regular appointments throughout your lingual braces treatment so Dr. Buddy can keep an eye on your progress and make any adjustments.
- When your Incognito braces come off, we’ll fit you for a custom retainer, which you’ll wear according to Dr. Buddy’s instructions. Wearing a retainer is the only way to ensure your beautiful, new smile lasts a lifetime.
Are Lingual Braces Comfortable?
Similar to regular braces, there is an adjustment period with lingual braces since you’re not used to having anything on your teeth, especially on the tongue side. Your tongue will quickly acclimate to sharing space with your brackets and wires. Most patients say it takes between a few days to one to two weeks to fully adjust. The good news is, that Incognito hidden braces are fully customized, so Dr. Buddy is able to design them to be smoother and smaller than traditional braces, making the adjustment period even easier. Once you get used to wearing them, lingual braces are super comfortable and you won’t notice you have them in your mouth.
What are the Benefits of Lingual Braces?
- They’re placed behind the teeth, so they’re the least visible of all of the types of braces and even Invisalign. They’re ideal for professionals, adults, teens or anyone who wants to keep their orthodontic treatment under wraps.
- The revolutionary treatment planning process lets Dr. Buddy plan out each individual tooth movement for more control and a smile that looks just as promised.
- Hidden braces are 100% customized to your teeth and use state-of-the-art robotic wire-bending technology for unparalleled precision.
- The brackets are smaller, lower profile and smoother than standard brackets, making them very comfortable.
Who is a Candidate for Lingual Braces?
Just about everyone is a candidate for lingual braces. In general, if you’re a good candidate for traditional metal braces or clear braces, you’re a good candidate for Incognito braces too!
How Much do Lingual Braces Cost?
The lingual braces cost varies depending on a number of factors, including the complexity of your case and the duration of your treatment. When you come in for a free consultation, we’ll take diagnostic records and Dr. Buddy will examine your mouth. We’ll be able to let you know what the lingual braces cost will be. We strive to make treatment affordable for our patients and we accept all major insurance plans and offer interest-free, flexible financing. We’ll work with you to find a solution that fits your budget.
Want to find out if you’re a candidate for lingual braces in Greer or Simpsonville, SC? Schedule a complimentary consultation at Davis Orthodontics today!